Monday, December 29, 2008

Up before the sun (not so difficult when the sun is only out from 8:00 am - 4: 30 pm)

December 29, 2008

Good Day! ::insert British accent::
Having not really slept yesterday I found myself passed out in my bed during my attempted study session only to be awoken by Ingrid who came in to turn my light off and let me know she would be up at 6:00 am to make me breakfast (talk about the royal treatment). Had I been more coherent I would have told her that was not necessary, but at 7:00 pm (2:00 pm NC time) and having been asleep for a good two hours, the thought never really came to fruition. Ingird was kind enough to turn my light out and advised me to go ahead and sleep through the night (where as my intentions were to wake up in an hour or two and study for a while). Needless to say, I was awoken at about 12:00 am (7:00 pm NC time) and have been tossing and turning ever since. So, here I lie at 3:00 am (10:00 pm NC time) WIDE AWAKE. Needless to say, I am currently functioning/operating on neither U.S. time nor Britain time, but instead my body has created its own sleep pattern. I must say, however, that the room appears to be much warmer at 3:00 am and while the rest of Westminster sleeps, I should be able to begin my preparations for my interview well rested and more coherently, and for that I am incredibly thankful.
While doing my devotion this morning it came to my attention that I have several praises and prayer requests. For those that would like, I would be most appreciative of your prayers regarding the following matters.

Praises:
1. Safe travels to London
2. A wonderful host (Ingrid from Austria) and a residence that I am most pleased with
3. Two interviews scheduled rather quickly (it can often take up to a month before an interview is even offered)
4. The opportunity to do this alone (despite my initial desire to travel with someone).
5. The incredible opportunity to not only embark on this crazy adventure but to feel so loved and supported while doing so.

Prayer Requests:
1. Before leaving I contracted a virus that caused me to break out in “spots” all over my body, since arriving the spots have continued to be very itchy to the point that I was awoken several times during the night - technically day as I seem to be sleeping during the day and not night ☺
2. I have an interview scheduled at 11:45 this morning for a senior practitioner position (A very high up position, where I would actually be managing over social workers, to which I continually have questioned whether I am qualified. My prayer is that God would simply open or close this door as he sees fit and that regardless of the outcome, I am thankful for the opportunity to be considered for the position and the opportunity to have an interview so quickly after arriving here in the UK.)
3. Traveling mercies as I began trekking beyond the side streets of Maida Vale and am having to learn the tube system.
4. A quick adjustment to a more normal sleep schedule (which I realizes take time).
5. While my body is still adjusting to finally getting the correct medication for my spondolytis, it is now also having to deal with added stress of being in a new place, lack of sleep, and very damp weather. Please pray that I would experience great healing while here in London and that I would not be burdened by the pain that I feel in my body. I am incredibly thankful that my condition does not seem to have worsened since arriving!!!

Thankful for your prayers, love, & support,
Carina

Well, 12 hours later it is now 3:00 pm and I am rather exhausted. I had quite the adventure this morning. I showered around 5:30, drank a cup of tea with toast at 6:30 with Ingrid and was out the door by 7:00 (to again be greeted with sheer darkness – very thankful for street lights once again. I made my way down the quaint street of Maida Vale, marveling at the beauty around me and feeling the crisp air on my cheeks, wondering if all of life could be as wonderful as it was in that moment. I made it to the tube (underground train in about 7 minutes and quickly discovered once again just how expensive public transportation is in London. It cost me about 7 pounds to travel between zone 1 and 2. I can only imagine if I had needed to travel to zone three or four. After transferring from the Bakerloo tube to the Victoria tube I and riding for a bit longer until I reached Brixton, at which point I then walked a few blocks to the Victoria Rail line where I took the above ground light rail to Penge East Rail station (another 5 pounds). From there I walked a few blocks and caught the 75 bus towards Croydon (another 2 pounds) at which point I got off in front of Borough of Bromley Social Services and Housing. While my journey took my just shy of 2 hours, I will still plenty early for my interview and decided to have a cup of tea at the local café. Thankfully, tea and toast only cost me a pound. After studying for a while I changed shoes (yes, through my entire adventure this morning I had on white chuck tailors with my black business suit… it was cute!) and headed to my interview. I must say, I was not terribly impressed with the area of Bromley nor the announcement that the job of Senior Practitioner would involve child protection work… meaning that I would be doing assessments for abuse and neglect cases and then passing the cases on to other to do the work… boo for that! The interviewer asked me for my CV (resume) as he did not have a copy and read it intently as if he had never seen it before. Rather odd! He then proceeded to explain that it looked as though I had no experience in Child Protection work… DUH!!! I kindly shared with him the areas of my experience that overlapped with child protection work and the areas in which I have completed assessments, but I believe we were both a little confused as to why I had been called in for an interview. The interview lasted for about 40 minutes at which point the interviewer began telling me all of the places that I could cycle through London (hello, no bike) and all of the great bitters(beer) that I should try (again, hello, I hate beer). I personally think that he felt bad for making me come into an interview and thought he should offer some helpful advice so as not to feel like he was wasting my time (and money – thank you expensive transportation costs). I think I handled the situation nicely, and am incredibly grateful for the interview experience, but am truthfully hoping it does not work out and crossing my fingers for my interview in Surrey next week. Needless to say, I switched shoes after the interview, forwent the 2 pound bus ride, and walked myself back to the rail station. From there I made the lengthy trek home and am now comfortably in bed under the warm covers. Apparently 4 to 8 degrees is normal this time of year. I think I missed that memo when I was packing. BRRRRRR!!!

Fun tid-bits of information…
1. I’ve been called “love” by just about everyone that I’ve spoken with – endearing yet odd coming from a compete stranger. I like it!
2. One should quickly adjust to looking right when crossing the road instead of left… once again today I almost walked out in front of a car.
3. French fries for breakfast is completely normal and common here. Weird!
4. Tea & buttered toast is my new staple (as it is all that I can afford).
5. Understanding thick British accents is just as difficult as understanding someone who speaks a dialect with which you are not familiar. Half the time I find myself smiling and nodding while having no earthly idea what the person next to me is saying. Ooops… A fun example would be the lady at the café who I thought said “London soup” but who really said Lentil soup. NO wonder she found it odd that I asked what was in it… “Londons” was the reply that I heard, clearly she said “lentals” though. Oh boy…
6. The diversity that exists here is just fascinating. It truly is a melting pot of different cultures, races, ethnicities, socioeconomic levels, etc… it is so wonderful.
7. The toilet at the café was outside. SO COLD!!!! SOOOO Unnecessary. I don’t want to pull my pants down in a room with no heat. Hello!??!
8. I am finding that in most restrooms the light switch is a string hanging from the ceiling as soon as you walk in the room. I find myself constantly batting my hand in the dark until I find it.
9. Smoking stinks!!! And everyone seems to do it here. Gross!
10. I feel super cute in my long pea coat and colorful scarf around my neck, I have found that I am not completely as out of touch with European style as I thought I would be. (Mind you there are my different styles, many more bold statements which I dare not attempt.)

Exhaustedly yours,
Carina

Ahhh – while Roma Café closed at 5:00 – the Starbucks next door is open until 8:00. And, while Starbucks does not offer free wireless, someone close by does. I am sure they don’t mind sharing. A few more thoughts before I venture into Internet land and attempt to figure out how to start a blog.
1. When ordering, things are several pence cheaper if you get them “take out” as opposed to “dine in.”
2. The switches for outlets are on the outlets themselves. Just because something is plugged in doesn’t mean it works. The switch must be flipped down so that red is showing on the top.

1 comment:

  1. Carina-

    i am so excited for your new adventure, and i have enjoyed reading your blog. it reminds me a little of how we felt when we first moved here, except not cold.....

    we couldn't understand a lot of people that lived around us either and they were also speaking english....crazy how that works!

    anyway, i hope you have a wonderful time and continue to have great experiences there!

    how long are you there? joel and i put the uk as our number one and two for our next station, so we may be over there in august.

    keeping you in our prayers while you are on your journey!!

    justine.

    ReplyDelete

Followers