Monday, December 29, 2008

ravishing London...

Disclaimer: The intent here is not to validate years of schooling or prove that my writing ability is that of a a person with a master’s degree, but instead to share my wonderful adventures and experiences with those whom I have left behind. Please pardon any grammatical errors… or any errors in general.

December 28, 2008

I arrived this morning after a wonderful flight from New York on British Airways. It has come to my attention that the economic crisis in the United States (which I thought was more universal) has caused our air transportation system to pale in comparison to that of foreign airlines. Upon boarding I was greeted with what turned out to be a more pleasurable experience than riding first class on an American airline. I had my own blanket, pillow, socks, toothbrush, eye mask and a person television with a plethora of movies and TV stations to watch, all free of charge. Not to mention the fact that I was given all of the beverages (alcohol included should I have chosen to indulge) and food that I could have ever wanted, FREE of charge as well. Perhaps US Air should take note. I had Worcester sauce flavored pretzel bites to start, they were rather tasty despite my initial disgust with the idea. A while later I was given a full course meal consisting of a roll, cranberry and feta salad, delicious chicken pasta with loads of herbs and spices, a real cup for tea/coffee, and the most wonderful apple tart smothered in a cream sauce for dessert. I also had a kit-kat on my tray, rather random, but scrumptious none-the-less. Aside from a wonderful and most appreciated free meal, the rest of my time on the plane, that should have been spent studying, was spent fast asleep in an airplane chair with a most comfortable head rest that allowed for great rest after only a few hours of sleep the night before. (Perhaps waiting until the very last minute to begin packing was not the best idea in the world. Thank goodness for a wonderful boyfriend who was willing to stay up until 3:30 in the morning rolling my clothes for you me so that they not only all fit in my suitcases but came out wrinkle free when I got here as well! Thanks, Jeff!)
After a most enjoyable flight I arrive at Heathrow Airport in glorious London. I was generally surprised when my only initiation into the country was the showing of my passport to a man at a desk. So much for customs?!?! Now obtaining my luggage was a bit of a struggle as I packed slightly more than one person is probably able to carry on their own. With two large suitcases both topped with smaller bags, I began my trek to find a taxi, only to find out the the wheel on one of my suitcases was, well… partially missing. Having just had a lengthy discussion with my mother (who will affectionately be referred to as Mum while in the UK) about the benefits of paying a little more money for nicer luggage (Thank you, Santa for one good suitcase, I’m not sure I would have made it having to drag two). More than anything the experience made me smile as I basked in my own personal victory regarding the previous conversation with my Mum. However, the missing wheel did turn out to be a blessing. Had I had two functioning pieces of luggage I would have made a lofty attempt to take the tube, and most likely ended up stranded somewhere along the way with loads of luggage. So, thanks to my cheap luggage I splurged (YES, 67 pounds is a BIG splurge) and got a taxi that took my right to Ingrid’s door. Westminster (Maida Vale) is the most quaint and wonderful city. I’m so incredibly excited to spend an upcoming day with my camera capture all of the incredible sights around me. However, responsibility calls and I’ve put myself on camera probation until I get through tomorrow’s interview.
After spending a good hour talking with Ingirid (host) over a delicious cup of English breakfast tea – yummy – I allowed myself a few hours to rest (after all, how productive can one be on such little sleep, right?). Nothing like an afternoon nap, especially in such muggy weather. After my nap I bundled up in my scarf and mittens and began my trek to find a working alarm clock. Determined to save money and take in all that is around me, I decided to walk. I had the most pleasant walk strolling town the streets, so quaint and peaceful, so different in so many ways than the busy streets of the U.S. I truly enjoyed my stroll. After purchasing my 2.99 (pounds) alarm clock I found a stationary store and put a few pounds on my phone card. While I did not experience anyone being rude to me particularly, I must say that the general sentiment here is much different than the Southern hospitality that I am used to. No one waves on the street or engages in subtle small talk. In fact, no one engages in talking in general. When asking around to find a store that sells alarm clocks I was amazed as the unhelpfulness of those around me, again, not rude, just to themselves and short. No pretenses and fakeness here that is for sure. Maybe it’s a good thing?!?! I do find myself reciting British phrases in my want-to-be British accent in my head. It won’t be long before I’ve added another twang to my already diversified accent. British/Southern/Yankee sounding speech?!?! You might have to hear it to believe it. With all of the commotion around me, I kept thinking how strange it was to enter store fronts without any knowledge as to the quality, reputation, popularity or price range of the items inside. I was able to like or dislike items without any outside influences… of no surprise to my mum I’m sure, I still found myself drawn to the most expensive things. At least you know now that I just have expensive taste and that I am not just keeping up with the Jone’s, right?!?! After all, I don’t even know who the Jones‘ are here in England.
After my adventure to the center I traversed back towards my flat and landed at Roma’s Café – a quaint and delicious café with free wi-fi (of course I had to order something – poor me, right?!?) I must say, the lental soup and bread was delicious, but the thick hot cocoa afterwards made the afternoon just perfect. Still on holiday hours, I left the café at around 4:30, right before closing – only to be greeted with what would soon be sheer darkness moments after I arrived home (my how darkness can fall in a matter of 5 minutes). Thank goodness for streetlights. I now lay nestled under the covers in my room (there is quite a draft coming from the window, not so lovely for a person whose body temperature is already a good twenty degrees lower than the average human being) typing hurriedly and avoiding the preparation work that I so desperately need to do for tomorrow’s interview.

Interesting British tid-bit of the day: in my flat specifically, the toilet is in a separate room than the shower and sink (how exactly people wash their hands after using the rest room still I do not know). Neither room appears to have heat & the water is ridiculously cold. Additionally, the toilet is incredibly odd looking (green) and intriguing… I’ll have to take a picture.

Feeling thankful and blessed,
Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers